TRD Sport i-FORCE or TRD Off-Road i-FORCE? Which would you choose?

BG

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
YouTube
Visit YouTube
IG Page
Visit Instagram
Tacoma
13' DCSB TRD OR
While most would consider the TRD Off-Road the better model, I would likely choose the TRD Sport. Hear me out. The TRD Off-Road typically comes with more features—a premium interior package, leather seats (not always), rear locker, Sway Bar Stabilizer Disconnect (SDM), MTS and MTM crawl modes, black fender flares, etc. But the TRD Sport can still be found with the larger head unit and the i-FORCE MAX, which is what matters to me at the end of the day. Everything else can be added or modded later (except for the electronic sway bar disconnect and crawl modes) - but who really uses those? I've had multiple 4Runner with crawl control and NEVER and I mean NEVER use those features off-road. As for the SDM - I've owned a Bronco which has a similar feature and it's nice to have on-road stability with off-road flex BUT it's not a feature that I would consider a NEED on an offroad truck.

This really depends on whether you’re willing to mod your truck. If you plan on modding the truck anyway, building it up with bigger tires and a better suspension for off-roading, why not save the money and go with the TRD Sport? You can add front and rear air or e-lockers, seats from PRP, suspension of your choice, delete the sway bars for better flex, blacked-out fender flares, and more.

This perspective mainly applies to those who are modding their trucks for actual off-roading. If you don’t plan on modding, then the TRD Off-Road is a solid option. But if you plan on building an offroad-focused truck, it makes sense to save on the purchase price and invest that money into the mods you want.

At the end of the day, a fully loaded TRD Off-Road with every option is about $10k more than the sport. I would rather pocket that $10k and spend it on mods.

What do you guys think?

TRD Sport i-FORCE MAX with Large Screen (no locker, no MTS, no SDM, fabric seats): $50k

trdsport.jpg

TRD Offroad i-FORCE MAX Loaded (large screen, MTS, SBD, rear locker, leather seats, etc.): $60k

trd_offroad_01.jpg

Last edited:
This is a good take. However... I'm already seeing prices dropping for an ORP Hybrid from $59k to mid 50s (or just above). Given that you get literally every single option in the OR (as described), I don't think you're going to save money with the Sport. Seat covers ($1k or so?), rear locker ($1k + compressor + install, less reliable than OEM), fender flares ($500+).... I could go on. Especially if you can get one around the mid 50s, you're going to end up paying more in time and money. Plus, there's always the mentality around how the average user looks at trims. Sports are not going to draw as much money. Even if no one really uses the MTS, etc. So if the difference is going to be $5k, and you lose all the other stuff like heated/cooled seats, etc., it may not be the deal you're making it out to be. Interesting take, but I think I'm going ORP Hybrid for around $55k...

This is a good take. However...

Okay okay, I see where you're going with this. Sounds like you're more concerned with resale value and instant creature comforts over saving money on finance and modding all those things on your own. To each their own. Still going with the sport though and saving money, taxes, etc out of the gates. And if what you're saying is true about ORPs dropping down to $55K then it would be fair to say you could grab a sport for $45k.. with iForce MAX... I'd always rather have a lower purchase price and finance amount over some creature comforts that I can mod (within reason) on my own when I have the budget and time. Personally.

Recent

Have you tried different driving modes (e.g...
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a...
I recently had the chance to have both of...
Hi everyone, I’m enjoying the JBL subwoofer...
We should hopefully be getting 2025 Tacoma...
This trim seems to just be hitting dealers. I...
I take my 24 Taco off road a couple times a...
Gents, I got my TrailHunter and was wonder if...
For those who have a Trailhunter or who are...
After living with the TRD Pro Tacoma for a...
Back