TRD Pro & Trailhunter Owners - Why Did You Buy Your Specific Trim?

rustytaco

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So... those who decided to ball all the way out and get a Trailhunter or Pro. Why did you go that route? What made you decide on the premium trims? Any plans to modify after purchase?

I got TH coming, so ill start with easy ones
1. Looks nicer than the other trims and there is not that many options for upgrade just yet.
2. I trust FOX and EMU, dont really care about other brands. Having stock lift is perfect (maybe switch to high end shocks in the future)
3. Tech and Hybrid (dont care about people complain about Turbo charge etc)
4. Less work on upgrading small things in the truck, so ill rather focus on upgrade like Portals from 74Weld, and 35's or 37's tires.

my 2 cents

Just took delivery of my TH 2 days ago.
1. Love the way the bronze oxide TH looks, even with the sports bar (which is completely useless IMHO, going to replace it with a full rack at some point)
2. I don't have the time to modify my own Tacoma right now, nor do I want to pay someone to do it for me. Also there isn't much in terms of aftermarket right now.
3. Induction sound + Turbo noises.... STUTUTUTU. YouTube videos don't do the noise justice. I get a s***-eating grin every time I drive it.
4. I got a new job and promotion in a little over a year that doubled my salary, not including bonus and stock options (hence 2.) <--- main reason

I got TH coming, so ill start with easy ones
1. Looks nicer than the other trims and there is not that many options for upgrade just yet.
2. I trust FOX and EMU, dont really care about other brands. Having stock lift is perfect (maybe switch to high end shocks in the future)
3. Tech and Hybrid (dont care about people complain about Turbo charge etc)
4. Less work on upgrading small things in the truck, so ill rather focus on upgrade like Portals from 74Weld, and 35's or 37's tires.

my 2 cents

Thanks for chiming in. That all makes sense. Especially if you're only planning on focusing on the bigger stuff like portals after.

Just took delivery of my TH 2 days ago.
1. Love the way the bronze oxide TH looks, even with the sports bar (which is completely useless IMHO, going to replace it with a full rack at some point)
2. I don't have the time to modify my own Tacoma right now, nor do I want to pay someone to do it for me. Also there isn't much in terms of aftermarket right now.
3. Induction sound + Turbo noises.... STUTUTUTU. YouTube videos don't do the noise justice. I get a s***-eating grin every time I drive it.
4. I got a new job and promotion in a little over a year that doubled my salary, not including bonus and stock options (hence 2.) <--- main reason

Roger! That all makes sense to me!

So... those who decided to ball all the way out and get a Trailhunter or Pro. Why did you go that route? What made you decide on the premium trims? Any plans to modify after purchase?
@rustytaco, I commented on a prior thread you were on a while back (at that time I hadn't pulled the trigger on the new Taco) - now I have, well... sort of. I haven't taken possession of it, but I placed a deposit on an allocation that's currently in the "in build" status, however, I probably won't see it until the end of October / early November, and that's being optimistic - all good, I'm in no rush. Okay, I was torn between the TRD ORP Hybrid and the TRD Pro. I wanted a hybrid for the extra horses and torque - so a non-hybrid wasn't something I was considering. That said, and after a whole lot of research - ad nauseam and ad infinitum - I decided to place a deposit on a TRD Pro - Underground w/cockpit red interior. The following are my reasons:

First - My specific family size (both our number and height :)). We have four kiddos, and that's more than could comfortably fit in the backseat (regardless of the trim), plus our Sienna is our dedicated family-hauler. That said, the limited rear seating resulting from the isodynamic seats isn't a deal-breaker. Whoever would've thought that being 5'7" would one day work out to my benefit? :) Plus, there's a good chance my kiddos aren't going to "pass dad up" anytime soon. So, even when I have the kiddos jump in with me for a ride, the tight rear-seating doesn't affect my family and I as much as someone who's taller and/or has a taller family.

Second - The math doesn't add up for what I want. Meaning, at the end of the day, it would actually be more expensive to go the TRD ORP Hybrid route. As I mentioned in that past thread, I still think the TRD OR is the sweet spot for anyone who wants to mod their truck to their exact liking and preferences. But, in my case, the TRD Pro checks all the boxes and then some. For example, I want the electronic sway bar stabilizer disconnect. Once you add that to the TRD ORP Hybrid, you're at about $58K to $59K. The upgraded TRD exhaust, cold-air intake, high-clearance front bumper, Fox shocks with factory lift and flared fenders (both of which make it easier to add 35s and accommodate for a little more "poke"), heritage grill, light bar, etc. - add all that up and you're beyond the Pro's price. On top of all that - the added benefit of certain Pro/Trailhunter and some Limited-only features (i.e. ARB rear bumper, upgraded DRL headlights, HUD, etc.) as well as some features you simply can't add later (e.g. soft touch interior materials) and I'm actually looking forward to the isodynamic seats.

Lastly - and this is just echoing some of the points you made in the other post: Resale (not that I plan to, but in case I ever decided to), as well as keeping everything under the factor warranty.

Bro, not only will this be my first Taco (I've wanted one for at least the last 10 years or so), but it'll also be the first truck I've ever owned. Several factors could have made the TRD OR a better choice, but in my particular situation, the TRD Pro makes the most sense. I was able to negotiate it to MSRP, with no dealer add-ons, and the port add-ons were mostly all options I wanted (i.e. bed scene lighting, spray on bedliner, integrated dashcam and a center console safe), the only add-on I wouldn't have chosen but I'll see how it works out was Toyota's OEM roof rack (as I planned on adding the same as TRDJon's from Westcott Designs); apart from that, the only aftermarket mods I plan on doing are switching out the tires to some 35s on Methods and having Jeff at Westcott slap on some rock sliders. All in all, after the down payment I've managed to save and combined with a trade-in, I'll only be financing a small fraction and am hoping to knock out the remainder within a year or so, and I was also able to lock in an APR in the 5%s.

I'll post some pics when I finally take delivery. ;)

Last edited:
@rustytaco, I commented on a prior thread you were on a while back (at that time I hadn't pulled the trigger on the new Taco) - now I have, well... sort of. I haven't taken possession of it, but I placed a deposit on an allocation that's currently in the "in build" status, however, I probably won't see it until the end of October / early November, and that's being optimistic - all good, I'm in no rush. Okay, and as I mentioned back in that prior post, I was torn between the TRD ORP Hybrid and the TRD Pro. I wanted a hybrid for the extra horses and torque - so a non-hybrid wasn't something I was considering. That said, and after a whole lot of research - ad nauseam and ad infinitum - I decided to place a deposit on a TRD Pro - Underground w/cockpit red interior. The following are my reasons:

First - My specific family size (both our number and height :)). We have four kiddos, and that's more than could comfortably fit in the backseat (regardless of the trim), plus as I mentioned in that prior thread, our Sienna is our dedicated family-hauler. That said, the limited rear seating resulting from the isodynamic seats isn't a deal-breaker. Whoever would've thought that being 5'7" would one day work out to my benefit? :) Plus, there's a good chance my kiddos aren't going to "pass dad up" anytime soon. So, even when I have the kiddos jump in with me for a ride, the tight rear-seating doesn't affect my family and I as much as someone who's taller and/or has a taller family.

Second - The math doesn't add up for what I want. Meaning, at the end of the day, it would actually be more expensive to go the TRD ORP Hybrid route. As I mentioned in that past thread, I still think the TRD OR is the sweet spot for anyone who wants to mod their truck to their exact liking and preferences. But, in my case, the TRD Pro checks all the boxes and then some. For example, I want the electronic sway bar stabilizer disconnect. Once you add that to the TRD ORP Hybrid, you're at about $58K to $59K. The upgraded TRD exhaust, cold-air intake, high-clearance front bumper, Fox shocks with factory lift and flared fenders (both of which make it easier to add 35s and accommodate for a little more "poke"), heritage grill, light bar, etc. - add all that up and you're beyond the Pro's price. On top of all that - the added benefit of certain Pro/Trailhunter and some Limited-only features (i.e. ARB rear bumper, upgraded DRL headlights, HUD, etc.) as well as some features you simply can't add later (e.g. soft touch interior materials) and I'm actually looking forward to the isodynamic seats.

Lastly - and this is just echoing some of the points you made in the other post: Resale (not that I plan to, but in case I ever decided to), as well as keeping everything under the factor warranty.

Bro, not only will this be my first Taco (I've wanted one for at least the last 10 years or so), but it'll also be the first truck I've ever owned. Several factors could have made the TRD OR a better choice, but in my particular situation, the TRD Pro makes the most sense. I was able to negotiate it to MSRP, with no dealer add-ons, and the port add-ons were mostly all options I wanted (i.e. bed scene lighting, spray on bedliner, integrated dashcam and a center console safe), the only add-on I wouldn't have chosen but I'll see how it works out was Toyota's OEM roof rack (as I planned on adding the same as TRDJon's from Westcott Designs); apart from that, the only aftermarket mods I plan on doing are switching out the tires to some 35s on Methods and having Jeff at Westcott slap on some rock sliders. All in all, after the down payment I've managed to save and combined with a trade-in, I'll only be financing a small fraction and am hoping to knock out the remainder within a year or so, and I was also able to lock in an APR in the 5%s.

I'll post some pics when I finally take delivery. ;)
Wow! Thanks for such a detailed response. I can totally understand your position. As much as people want to complain about the price, especially if you're going to modify your truck, the Pro and TH don't really seem that bad. Stoked to see it when it lands!

Nicer interior, all of the features, and a preinstalled snorkel.

For me I knew the after market would take some time to produce a trail ready truck. Drilling a hole in a fender for a snorkel kills resale value. And, chasing down a TRD OR that has all of the features I wanted, plus none of the ones I didnt want, was going to be a pain.

And then of course I have an overlanding focused Youtube channel, and Toyota released an overland focused truck. I have waited 8 years to build a Tacoma so I decided to just buy the best Toyota had to offer and go from there. No regrets.

Nicer interior, all of the features, and a preinstalled snorkel.

For me I knew the after market would take some time to produce a trail ready truck. Drilling a hole in a fender for a snorkel kills resale value. And, chasing down a TRD OR that has all of the features I wanted, plus none of the ones I didnt want, was going to be a pain.

And then of course I have an overlanding focused Youtube channel, and Toyota released an overland focused truck. I have waited 8 years to build a Tacoma so I decided to just buy the best Toyota had to offer and go from there. No regrets.
That all makes sense! Thanks for sharing!

Recent

Does anyone have access to the installation...
Hello all, New to 4Gtaco but not new to Tacoma...
When these trucks were first announced, there...
There's no denying that the 4G Taco looks...
If you want FREE 4GTaco decals, comment below...
In the shop now getting a new driver side fog...
Have you tried different driving modes (e.g...
While I wait for my Leer Canopy to get...
So I am getting this intermittent ticking...
Back