TRD JON

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
YouTube
Visit YouTube
IG Page
Visit Instagram
I recently had the chance to have both of these trucks side by side for an "owner" comparison. I had the TRD Pro for a week from Toyota so I got to get to know the truck a bit and truly developed some thoughts on it when comparing it to my TRD Off Road Tacoma which I've owned for close to 6 months now. I made a full YouTube video on this which I'll link below, but I'll mention some of the key takeaways.

Price
The TRD Pro is $$$$. It is close to $10K more than my fully spec'd (non hybrid) TRD-OR. That being said, the TRD-OR starts even cheaper at $42K whereas mine was about $52K ish. So the cost of the Pro is something to consider for sure. If you wanna just build a truck with way better suspension, tires, and armor, without all the bells and whistles, then the OR is 100% the way to go.

Powertrain
I am sold on the hybrid powertrain...One week of having the i-FORCE Max Tacoma and I was convinced. The power is incredible, the low-end torque comes on so fast, and it got decent MPG as well even with me just driving it with no regard to MPGs. I got about 21 at the end of my week and I would say I was driving a bit more aggressively than I normally do.

Seats
The ISO Dynamic seats should be optional. They work great off road, but as a daily driver, they aren't it man. No back seat space and kinda a bit uncomfortable on the road for longer drives. The TRD-OR seats are great. I've never had an issue with mine and they allow for decent rear seat space.

Looks
You can turn a TRD OR into a Pro if you really wanna be a TRD Bro. All the parts are online now to make it happen. However, the interior of the Pro is a bit nicer with the added soft-touch materials, HUD, and cockpit red interior.

Here's the video for you all.

IMG_3776.jpegIMG_3788.jpeg

As always, Jon, your hard work is much appreciated, your videos always contain great content - Thank you! This comparison is exactly what I’m debating, I haven’t yet pulled the trigger on the new Taco. For me, the limited rear seating space is more of an unfortunate side effect of the isodynamic seats, but not necessarily a deal breaker, as this won’t be my “family hauler”, I already have a Sienna for that. Buiding up a Hybrid TRD ORP, as you mentioned, starts at just over $56K. Once you upgrade the suspension, including a lift, upgrade the exhaust, intake, external mods (i.e. flared fenders, high-clearance bumper, heritage grill, a light bar, etc.) you’re most likely at or beyond the Pro’s price, and even with all that… the soft-touch interior materials, DRL Headlights and HUD will remain exclusive to the Pro. I know, it appears I’ve convinced myself to pull the trigger on the Pro, but I fully realize even with all the standard features, it's just hard to justify the price. But as you've mentioned, everything is more expensive nowadays. The TRD OR is still the better choice if you want to mod it to your exact liking / personal preferences.

Last edited:
As always, Jon, your hard work is much appreciated, your videos always contain great content - Thank you! This comparison is exactly what I’m debating, I haven’t yet pulled the trigger on the new Taco. For me, the limited rear seating space is more of an unfortunate side effect of the isodynamic seats, but not necessarily a deal breaker, as this won’t be my “family hauler”, I already have a Sienna for that. Buiding up a Hybrid TRD ORP, as you mentioned, starts at just over $56K. Once you upgrade the suspension, including a lift, upgrade the exhaust, intake, external mods (i.e. flared fenders, high-clearance bumper, heritage grill, a light bar, etc.) you’re most likely at or beyond the Pro’s price, and even with all that… the soft-touch interior materials, DRL Headlights and HUD will remain exclusive to the Pro. I know, it appears I’ve convinced myself to pull the trigger on the Pro, but I fully realize even with all the standard features, it's just hard to justify the price. But as you've mentioned, everything is more expensive nowadays. The TRD OR is still the better choice if you want to mod it to your exact liking / personal preferences.
Completely agree with this man! Yea an OR will be the best for sure at the end of the day. Resale will always be better on the TRD Pro too though.

Concur on the OR. Unless you have crazy deep pockets lol. Then the resale and premium trim might be worth it.... Or if you want it all under factory warranty and don't plan on modding much.

Recent

Ever since picking up my Pro it seems as if...
hello everyone! I have been the proud owner of...
Alright everyone I just did the first oil...
Has anyone added fog lights to a 4th Gen SR...
Daniel over on Facebook has been fitting some...
Pictures of everything will be included below...
If you’re not a fan of the large stock exhaust...
Gary posted over on the 4th Gen Tacoma owners...
I just had a TRD Pro Tacoma for the last week...

Featured

Alright everyone I just did the first oil...
Shopping for a TRD Off-Road right now...
Posting this so we can share Bronze Oxide 4Gs...
So I just did a pretty solid road trip from...
Yo everyone! Drafting up this post as a...
Hey guys! I recently had an interview with...
Back