2024 Tacoma oil change guide!

Riley_monthule

Alright everyone I just did the first oil change on my Tacoma and thought I'd post a guide since I can't seem to find a good one anywhere yet.

Oil filter: 90915-yzzn1 otherwise known as the N1 filter
oil: 6Q of Toyota SAE 0W-20

Instructions:

1. Take both "skid plates" off. 4 bolts each.
2. Take oil filter off and place drain pan underneath. My filter was wayyyyyy too tight from factory so you might have some trouble taking it off. I ended up putting a screwdriver through the end of it to get leverage and turn it off.
3. Prefill new filter as much as possible and screw it on hand tight.
4. Find the oil drain plug. I included a pic below of the location. Drain the oil and be careful. On mine no matter how I positioned the drain pan the oil would hit it and perfectly rainbow onto the ground. A filter mat placed in the pan would help this. Drain the oil completely, replace the blue washer on the drain bolt and put it back in. The official factory torque spec is 30lbs but that felt like way too much so i just did 15lbs which has been fine and felt plenty tight.
5. Put 6 quarts of Toyota SAE 0W-20 in.
6. Check the dipstick to make sure the oil is in and at the proper level
7. Start the truck and look under it to make sure theres no leaks and everything working correctly
8. Turn the vehicle off and replace the skid plates
9. Enjoy your new oil change knowing you're taking proper care of your vehicle!
10. Change the oil every 5k miles!! I know Toyota says every 10k but if you plan on having the truck for over 100k miles especially with a turbo engine 5k is the way to go. This debate is endless but the car care nut and the motor oil geek on youtube both know more than you and agree that 5k miles is the correct interval.

Relevant: If you bought your truck new do the first change around 1k miles! Again Toyota says 5k but if you want this thing to last forever it's best to do the first change at 1k miles. Go to the motor oil geeks youtube and watch his videos on this. He goes in depth on why this is important and backs it up with real oil test evidence on multiple vehicles.
IMG_3061.JPGIMG_3063.JPGIMG_3064.JPGIMG_3065.JPGIMG_3066.JPGIMG_3067.JPGIMG_3059.JPG

Alright everyone I just did the first oil change on my Tacoma and thought I'd post a guide since I can't seem to find a good one anywhere yet.

Instructions:

2. Take oil filter off and place drain pan underneath. My filter was wayyyyyy too tight from factory so you might have some trouble taking it off. I ended up putting a screwdriver through the end of it to get leverage and turn it off.
4. Find the oil drain plug. I included a pic below of the location. Drain the oil and be careful. On mine no matter how I positioned the drain pan the oil would hit it and perfectly rainbow onto the ground. A filter mat placed in the pan would help this. Drain the oil completely, replace the blue washer on the drain bolt and put it back in. The official factory torque spec is 30lbs but that felt like way too much so i just did 15lbs which has been fine and felt plenty tight.
7. Start the truck and look under it to make sure theres no leaks and everything working correctly
10. Change the oil every 5k miles!! I know Toyota says every 10k but if you plan on having the truck for over 100k miles especially with a turbo engine 5k is the way to go. This debate is endless but the car care nut and the motor oil geek on youtube both know more than you and agree that 5k miles is the correct interval.

Relevant: If you bought your truck new do the first change around 1k miles! Again Toyota says 5k but if you want this thing to last forever it's best to do the first change at 1k miles. Go to the motor oil geeks youtube and watch his videos on this. He goes in depth on why this is important and backs it up with real oil test evidence on multiple vehicles.
View attachment 423View attachment 424View attachment 425View attachment 426View attachment 427View attachment 428View attachment 429
Great post. I just got 2024 trd OF. New to Toyota. Where do I even order these parts ?

Thank you! Congrats on the new truck! You can get all OEM parts from your local Toyota dealer. With the oil change though if you're not mechanically inclined I would start elsewhere. If you mess up the oil change you need a new engine which would not be fun on a brand new truck.
So I have about 1200 on it. Pulled into a jiffy lube to get it changed. Im military and traveling from ga to ny. They put new oil in it but was so new they didn’t have a new filter to put on it. That’s why I originally found your thread. I was like I’ll do it myself. I ordered the exact oil and filter you have above and I’ll just do it again myself. I’m assuming that the truck running idle you want the digital gauge to be dead middle. This obviously jumps higher when you driving and hit the gas. I’m extra because as I’m in line getting oil changed someone with a tundra came in swearing very upset that they over filled his tundra the day before and his truck was smoking etc. thanks for everything brotha.

Instructions:

View attachment 423View attachment 424View attachment 425View attachment 426View attachment 427View attachment 428View attachment 429
I appreciate this

I am new to this sight but thought I would just throw in my 2 cents. I have 1300+ km ( 800+miles) on my TRD Sport Premium and did my first oil change yesterday. Because I have heard all these stories of possible shavings or metal bits in the oil I ran the old oil through a fry pan splatter screen ( very fine mesh) as I drained it. Seemed to be all clear. Fortunately both filter and plug were easy to remove - not overtightened at the factory. I will probably wait to do the next change at 5000 km . Then every 6 months or 5000 km. ( I don’t drive a heck of a lot) Yes, it might be overkill but I’ve been doing this type of oil change schedule on all the vehicles I have owned for over 50 years and it’s always done me well.IMG_3908.jpeg

I am new to this sight but thought I would just throw in my 2 cents. I have 1300+ km ( 800+miles) on my TRD Sport Premium and did my first oil change yesterday. Because I have heard all these stories of possible shavings or metal bits in the oil I ran the old oil through a fry pan splatter screen ( very fine mesh) as I drained it. Seemed to be all clear. Fortunately both filter and plug were easy to remove - not overtightened at the factory. I will probably wait to do the next change at 5000 km . Then every 6 months or 5000 km. ( I don’t drive a heck of a lot) Yes, it might be overkill but I’ve been doing this type of oil change schedule on all the vehicles I have owned for over 50 years and it’s always done me well.View attachment 577
yup that's the perfect interval. That wire mesh you have is to big to catch anything though. If there was anything big enough to be caught by that your engine would be blown haha. The material you're getting rid of in the first 1k mile oil change is small enough to make it through the paper oil filter. Very fine particles you can't even see with the naked eye. Glad to see you're on top of the maintenance though. Good luck with your taco!

So I have about 1200 on it. Pulled into a jiffy lube to get it changed. Im military and traveling from ga to ny. They put new oil in it but was so new they didn’t have a new filter to put on it. That’s why I originally found your thread. I was like I’ll do it myself. I ordered the exact oil and filter you have above and I’ll just do it again myself. I’m assuming that the truck running idle you want the digital gauge to be dead middle. This obviously jumps higher when you driving and hit the gas. I’m extra because as I’m in line getting oil changed someone with a tundra came in swearing very upset that they over filled his tundra the day before and his truck was smoking etc. thanks for everything brotha.
Yeah the filters shouldn't be hard to get because a lot of other engines share them but it just depends on local stock I guess. Would highly recommend not going to an oil change shop likee jiffy though. They can do questionable work at times. I would have toyota do it as they will always have the parts and if they mess up it's an easy warranty claim where as not so much with an oil shop. Or just do it yourself but agian be careful that you know what you're doing. If you mess up they probably won't warranty a new engine. Enjoy your new taco!

Recent

Pictures of everything will be included below...
Hello! Just joined today after seeing the...
My wife and I went up to Marble Falls, TX to...
Hey everyone, Been thinking about some new...
Hello everyone 👋🏽 Here is what I’ve...
Less than two months in and I already have a...

Featured

Shopping for a TRD Off-Road right now...
Alright everyone I just did the first oil...
So I just did a pretty solid road trip from...
Yo everyone! Drafting up this post as a...
I'm not sure why you would do this long term...
Toyota has officially revealed the MSRP of...
Back