2024 TRD Pro Vs. 2024 Ranger Raptor - Heads Up Comparison

rustytaco

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone!

Since Toyota just dropped all the final specs, etc. for the new TRD Pro, I wanted to run a quick comparison.

I've seen quite a few people debating about how Toyota is too pricey, or how all these other Chevy and Ford options are going to push the Tacoma out.

In my opinion, a tough statement to agree with, since the Tacoma has a MASSIVE and super loyal following. I know the TRD Pro is expensive, and I wish it wasn't, but that's kind of where the market is now - unfortunately.

Anyway, I took a look at two articles on the trucks from MotorTrend + Car & Driver. Both had hands on with the trucks and spoke about their experiences. Photo credits to them as well!

Let me know if I missed anything or if there are any inaccuracies.

Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro (2025) vs. Ford Ranger Raptor (2024):
  1. Dimensions:
    • Tacoma TRD Pro: Utilizes the new TNGA-F truck platform, precise dimensions not provided.
    • Ranger Raptor: Based on the 2024 Ford Ranger, which is 75.5 inches wide, making it narrower than the Tacoma TRD Pro.
  2. Engine and Performance:
    • Tacoma TRD Pro: Equipped with a 2.4-liter turbo four-cylinder engine and a 48-hp electric motor, delivering a combined output of 326 hp and 465 lb-ft of torque.
    • Ranger Raptor: Powered by a twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6 engine producing 405 hp and 430 lb-ft of torque. Accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds and completes the quarter-mile in 14.1 seconds at 97 mph.
  3. Suspension and Off-Road Capability:
    • Tacoma TRD Pro: Features 2.5-inch Fox Racing QS3 internal bypass shocks, manual disconnecting front anti-roll bar, 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler Rugged Terrain tires, and a 2-inch lift in the front and a 1.5-inch lift in the rear.
    • Ranger Raptor: Equipped with longer forged aluminum control arms, Fox Live-valve shocks, and a Watt's linkage for improved lateral control. Offers selectable drive modes for various off-road conditions.
  4. On-Road Performance:
    • Tacoma TRD Pro: Offers sharp steering and controlled body movements, suitable for both off-road adventures and daily driving.
    • Ranger Raptor: Delivers a settled ride with sportier steering, capable of bending nicely into turns. However, its off-road tires may limit grip and contribute to understeer during aggressive cornering.
  5. Price:
    • Tacoma TRD Pro: Starts at $65,395.
    • Ranger Raptor: Starts at $57,065.
Overall, both trucks offer impressive off-road capabilities and performance, with the Tacoma TRD Pro emphasizing power and advanced off-road features, while the Ranger Raptor focuses on agility and maneuverability, particularly in tight trail conditions. The choice between the two may ultimately come down to individual preferences in terms of design, features, and pricing.

On a final note, one major disappointment is the lack of front locking diff on the Tacoma. To my knowledge, most competitors have front and rear, while Tacoma only has the rear.

Let me know what you think!

2024_Tacoma_TRD_Pro.jpg

2024_Ford_Ranger_Raptor.jpg

I agree with you on your points. If the trim level I was looking at was the PRO, it still wouldn't even be a competition. I know they are both capable vehicles but I personally think the Raptor looks horrible. lol Plus I've never had good luck with fords vehicles. Just my $.02.

The Tacoma does have more "luxury" features but the crappy thing is they are standard and not optional. So you are forced to pay for them. Like the auto rear tailgate, ISO seats which are heated and ventilated, moon roof, and some more. But again, it forced and you have to pay $$.

Recent

Anyone noticed a distinct engine shake, almost...
Has anyone seen or heard of the i-FORCE MAX...
I live in Arizona and I have talked to just...
What is the consensus on the rough country...
Hiya all, New to the Taco world. So far so...
Super quick and easy install today! Threw on...

Featured

Alright everyone I just did the first oil...
Shopping for a TRD Off-Road right now...
So I just did a pretty solid road trip from...
Yo everyone! Drafting up this post as a...
I'm not sure why you would do this long term...
Toyota has officially revealed the MSRP of...
Back