2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Vs. Off-Road Premium

BG

Administrator
Staff member
Shopping for a TRD Off-Road right now. Debating between the Premium and Non-Premium. The Off-Road non-premium has a "TRD Off-Road Upgrade Package". The cost is $4640 and the Premium is an $8800 package.

Both are the same base spec:
  • 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 2.4L-T 4-cyl. engine AT 4x4 5-ft. bed Double Cab 7544A
  • Engine: i-FORCE 2.4L Turbocharged Engine
  • Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic Transmission
  • Air Intake: Twin scroll turbocharger with wastegate valve control and air-cooled intercooler
  • Powertrain: i-FORCE 2.4L turbocharged inline-4 engine
  • Off-Road: Electronically controlled locking rear differential
  • Off-Road: Multi-Terrain Select (MTS), Crawl Control (CRAWL) and Downhill Assist Control (DAC)
  • 8-in. Toyota Audio Multimedia touchscreen with 6-speaker audio system, wireless Apple CarPlay® & Android Auto™ compatibility
  • 12.3-in. digital meter with selectable gauge display screens
  • LED bed lighting
  • LED headlights with Daytime Running Lights (DRL), auto on/off feature and manual leveling adjustment
  • LED fog lights
  • 5-ft. bed
  • Deck rail system with four adjustable tie-down cleats and four fixed cargo bed tie-down points
  • 17-in. TRD Off-Road alloy wheels
  • Color-keyed rear bumper
  • Composite front skid plate, with underbody transfer case and fuel tank protection

TRD Off-Road Upgrade Package: $4,640.00

8-way power-adjustable front seats, leather-trimmed heated steering wheel, JBL® Premium Audio with JBL® FLEX portable speaker, Qi Wireless Charging, Front and Rear Parking Assist with Automatic Braking, pre-wired auxiliary switches, AC power inverter, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (ITBC), and power horizontal rear window
  • Base MSRP: $42,900.00
  • TRD Off-Road Upgrade Package: $4,640.00
  • Delivery Processing and Handling: $1,495.00
  • Total Suggested Retail Price: $49,035.00

TRD Off-Road Premium Upgrade Package: $8,800

SofTex®-trimmed seats with heated and ventilated 8-way power-adjustable front seats, leather-trimmed heated steering wheel, 14-in. multimedia display, Multi-Terrain Monitor (MTM), JBL® Premium Audio with JBL® FLEX portable speaker, moon roof, Qi Wireless Charging, dual zone automatic climate control, Front and Rear Parking Assist with Automatic Braking, pre-wired auxiliary switches, AC power inverter, digital rearview mirror, Towing Technology Package including Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (ITBC), power open/close tailgate, and power horizontal rear window
  • Base MSRP: $42,900.00
  • Factory Installed Packages & Accessories: $8,800.00
  • Delivery Processing and Handling: $1,495.00
  • Total Suggested Retail Price: $53,195.00

What are your thoughts guys? TRD Off-Road or Off-Road Premium?

TRD Sport Pictured Below:

DSC06288-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This will vary between person and their financial capabilities, wants, and needs. I screwed myself over with my last vehicle purchase so I knew right away that the premium package was off the table for me. However, the mid-tier package from base OR “upgrade package” is so odd to me. It should no doubt include the 14 inch screen yet it doesn’t… but the base OR at most dealers allocations I’ve seen has been optioned with 14 inch screens. Before purchasing my base OR Solar Octane, I checked out the upgrade packages that were at the top of my budget.. all of them did not come with the larger screen optioned.

I feel like Toyota messed up with the pricing here, it feels like just a massive jump into the next few tiers with things missing in the upgrade for the price. For me, I would recommend a new ‘24 Tacoma buyer to purchase the base or the premium. The inbetween “upgrade” falls short for dang near suggested retail of the premium.

The base OR with the options 14” screen, heated seats, and spray in bed liner is perfect for me financially and my needs. I don’t need a rear window hatch as I’ll have a camper in the bed, roof rack with gear would cover the sunroof, and I can always upgrade the audio/interior later on. That’s my take! Good luck with shopping. These new Tacomas are simply amazing!

This is a late reply - but if anyone is on the fence - I really believe upgrading to the premium package is worth the extra money. You won't regret the additional options and I'm sure the resell value will be better (if that's important to you).

The digital rearview mirror is a game-changer. I can't imagine not having a moonroof. The 14-inch screen is much easier on the eyes. I may not use all the features provided, however, having them gives me peace of mind; the truck feels like a swiss army knife.

It's been like 6 months of calling dealers out here in Northern California. None of them seem to be getting TRD Off-Roads with the premium package. They're all non-premiums with cloth seats. I just can't send it with the cloth seats. I know some people love their cloth seats but I spill coffee way too much in the morning to deal with that shit. It's 2024... come on Toyota.... let's end the cloth seat production.

It's been like 6 months of calling dealers out here in Northern California. None of them seem to be getting TRD Off-Roads with the premium package. They're all non-premiums with cloth seats. I just can't send it with the cloth seats. I know some people love their cloth seats but I spill coffee way too much in the morning to deal with that shit. It's 2024... come on Toyota.... let's end the cloth seat production.

I’m sure you’ve considered it, but a road trip to Southern California may give you more options. As an example, the Huntington Beach dealership has had several premium off-roads on their lot.

I’m sure you’ve considered it, but a road trip to Southern California may give you more options. As an example, the Huntington Beach dealership has had several premium off-roads on their lot.

Yeah, that's deep for me but might be something to consider.

I chose the premium package because it was a hybrid and available in the color I wanted, and I definitely wanted the softex seats. Probably 1-2 months before taking delivery.

I don’t think moonroofs belong on a truck, and will just cause problems later on. Plus, as a vertically endowed person, it eats into the head room. I try my best to just get the features that I need and will use, but sometimes the way they “package” these, it’s difficult to do that.

This is a late reply - but if anyone is on the fence - I really believe upgrading to the premium package is worth the extra money. You won't regret the additional options and I'm sure the resell value will be better (if that's important to you).

The digital rearview mirror is a game-changer. I can't imagine not having a moonroof. The 14-inch screen is much easier on the eyes. I may not use all the features provided, however, having them gives me peace of mind; the truck feels like a swiss army knife.
I would definitely want the digital rear view mirror if I was forced to also get the power rear sliding window. I don’t like the latter, but the former would cancel that out.

I've reserved a TRD OR base with manual transmission, heated seats, the 14" screen, and a few other small options I don't really care about (door guards, charging cables) for a little bit less than $45K MSRP. It will be $50K out the door which seems like a crazy price already. If I had another $10K to spend I'd probably put it in my kids' 529, but I know everyone's needs and preferences are different. Really glad I can still get a manual and can't wait to get back into a Tacoma (I used to have a 2001 TRD).

I really wanted to 360 cameras. My father's fully loaded Denali has it and its amazing. So on the 4G Taco I had to get the Premium package to get this. Worth it but I could do without the moonroof. Leave that to the Limited trims or some other posh package.

I have the Premium and don't regret the extra money for a minute. The 360 cameras were a must for me and there was no way I was doing cloth seats again. I know it's just Softex, but it's so much nicer and cleans up so easily. I also relocated my digital rearview to the back of my cap, and that is a game changer. I went on vacation with my family and filled up the back to the ceiling of my cap and could still see the road behind me like it was empty. Also, the other small features all add up. Like many, I don't really care much about a moonroof, but it does still function normally with my CaliRaised roof rack so why not. If you can afford it, go premium. You won't regret it.

Recent

Anyone else they wish they could just have...
Anyone know of a locking gas cap that works on...
Has anyone seen or heard of the i-FORCE MAX...
Pictures of everything will be included below...
Hello! Just joined today after seeing the...
My wife and I went up to Marble Falls, TX to...

Featured

Shopping for a TRD Off-Road right now...
Alright everyone I just did the first oil...
So I just did a pretty solid road trip from...
Yo everyone! Drafting up this post as a...
I'm not sure why you would do this long term...
Toyota has officially revealed the MSRP of...
Back