Ghosted_trd Offroad/overland 4th Gen Tacoma Build

Ghosted_trd

Hello everyone 👋🏽
Here is what I’ve experienced after building out my Tacoma.

Let’s start with power, I installed some 35/12.50R17 E load tires and added a ton of extra weight and the truck wasn’t even fazed, still has a ton of power! Brakes on the other hand, the brakes took a big hit. I had a similar build on my 5th gen 4Runner, 35s and a lot more weight and the 4Runner brakes felt a lot better compared to the Tacoma. I’m still running the stock suspension with a 2” spacer lift up front and 1” in the rear and the ride quality has been amazing on and off road.

Issues!!
I’m dealing with my transmission overheating when I’m doing any type of offroading, this can possibly be an issue with just my truck because I’ve talked to other people that have added weight and 35” tires and they’ve experienced none of that. The other day, I lost my bottom rear shock bolts so both shocks dismounted themselves while I was driving on the freeway. This might be an install error on my part but Toyota had to tighten down the same bottom rear bolts on their prototype trucks at the king event because they came loose and were about to fall out. (Keep your eyes on those bolts and lmk if this happens to you!)

Gas mileage
With all the added weight and heavy 35” tires, I do pretty good on MPG in my opinion. My computer is saying I’m averaging 15-16mpg but the truck is reading wrong so it’s a little better than that. Sadly, with the smaller gas tank, I’m only getting 200-220 miles on a tank of gas. That’s the one thing that scares me, I’m always doing long road trips for events so the shorter fuel range and more frequent stops concerns me.

Overall opinion
I’ve enjoyed every minute with this truck, it’s a huge improvement compared to the 3rd gen Tacoma and 5th gen 4Runner. We finally have the much needed power, able to fit way bigger tires with very little work, overall drivability has improved a lot. It’s still a brand new vehicle, so some issues will always arise in the future but I’m 4,000+ hard miles deep in this truck and it’s handling everything well. (Besides the overheating trans)

Let me know if you have any product or build questions, I will be reviewing a lot of the products I’m running/testing.

Attachments

• IMG_7690.jpeg
    IMG_7690.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 113
Hello everyone 👋🏽
Here is what I’ve experienced after building out my Tacoma.

Let’s start with power, I installed some 35/12.50R17 E load tires and added a ton of extra weight and the truck wasn’t even fazed, still has a ton of power! Brakes on the other hand, the brakes took a big hit. I had a similar build on my 5th gen 4Runner, 35s and a lot more weight and the 4Runner brakes felt a lot better compared to the Tacoma. I’m still running the stock suspension with a 2” spacer lift up front and 1” in the rear and the ride quality has been amazing on and off road.

Issues!!
I’m dealing with my transmission overheating when I’m doing any type of offroading, this can possibly be an issue with just my truck because I’ve talked to other people that have added weight and 35” tires and they’ve experienced none of that. The other day, I lost my bottom rear shock bolts so both shocks dismounted themselves while I was driving on the freeway. This might be an install error on my part but Toyota had to tighten down the same bottom rear bolts on their prototype trucks at the king event because they came loose and were about to fall out. (Keep your eyes on those bolts and lmk if this happens to you!)

Gas mileage
With all the added weight and heavy 35” tires, I do pretty good on MPG in my opinion. My computer is saying I’m averaging 15-16mpg but the truck is reading wrong so it’s a little better than that. Sadly, with the smaller gas tank, I’m only getting 200-220 miles on a tank of gas. That’s the one thing that scares me, I’m always doing long road trips for events so the shorter fuel range and more frequent stops concerns me.

Overall opinion
I’ve enjoyed every minute with this truck, it’s a huge improvement compared to the 3rd gen Tacoma and 5th gen 4Runner. We finally have the much needed power, able to fit way bigger tires with very little work, overall drivability has improved a lot. It’s still a brand new vehicle, so some issues will always arise in the future but I’m 4,000+ hard miles deep in this truck and it’s handling everything well. (Besides the overheating trans)

Let me know if you have any product or build questions, I will be reviewing a lot of the products I’m running/testing.
It’s time to upgrade the gas tank

Recent

Anyone else they wish they could just have...
Anyone know of a locking gas cap that works on...
Has anyone seen or heard of the i-FORCE MAX...
Pictures of everything will be included below...
Hello! Just joined today after seeing the...
My wife and I went up to Marble Falls, TX to...

Featured

Shopping for a TRD Off-Road right now...
Alright everyone I just did the first oil...
So I just did a pretty solid road trip from...
Yo everyone! Drafting up this post as a...
I'm not sure why you would do this long term...
Toyota has officially revealed the MSRP of...
Back