TRD JON

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
YouTube
Visit YouTube
IG Page
Visit Instagram
Hey guys! I recently had an interview with Tacoma Chief Engineer Sheldon Brown which I will eventually be posting to my YouTube channel. In this interview I asked him about the issues we have heard about with several Tacomas having transmission issues, so I wanted to update you all.

Essentially for those Tacomas that had issues (which were very few) Toyota discovered that there was some debris that made its way into the trans during manufacturing resulting in hard shifts and some failures. He assured me that this process has already be corrected with the transmission supplier.

So hopefully nobody else has issues in the future!

Please post more info asap! Can’t wait to hear details. Been worried about this issue.

Hey guys! I recently had an interview with Tacoma Chief Engineer Sheldon Brown which I will eventually be posting to my YouTube channel. In this interview I asked him about the issues we have heard about with several Tacomas having transmission issues, so I wanted to update you all.

Essentially for those Tacomas that had issues (which were very few) Toyota discovered that there was some debris that made its way into the trans during manufacturing resulting in hard shifts and some failures. He assured me that this process has already be corrected with the transmission supplier.

So is a tsb being issued soon? Or do we have to wait to break down in the middle of nowhere to know if our truck was one of the unlucky ones?

So is a tsb being issued soon? Or do we have to wait to break down in the middle of nowhere to know if our truck was one of the unlucky ones?
A tsb has been issued but from what I understand you'll still have to wait to see if your truck has problems. Not the best solution but I guess the amount of effected transmissions is pretty small. Mine has been rough shifting and really rough when shifting out of drive from the beginning and I'm in the effected vin range. Gonna ask the dealer if this qualifies me for the warranty or if I literally have to break down. Rather not do the latter as I'm constantly hundreds of miles away from home. We'll see.

Toyota had the same reasoning for the Tundra motors but debris doesn't find it way into vehs built all in different plants in my opinion. The problem should relate to vehs only built in that plant then and I was told with the Tundras they were from different plants and it was the crank bearings turning so it would be defective parts not debris. I heard the Tacoma trans problems were again related to elec components failing like solenoids. I personally don't buy the debris theory but who cares as long as they take care of it.

Recent

Have you tried different driving modes (e.g...
So I am getting this intermittent ticking...
If you want FREE 4GTaco decals, comment below...
Hello all, New to 4Gtaco but not new to Tacoma...
While I wait for my Leer Canopy to get...
Welcome Cali Raised LED www.CaliRaisedled.com...
I have close to 7k miles on this thing since...
Okay guys, I have been saving and waiting to...
Back