RTT Vs Travel Trailer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently made a big change in my camping setup. After selling my rooftop tent, I purchased the Hideout 179RB Travel Trailer, and I’m thrilled with it so far. I wanted to share some insights on the differences between a travel trailer and a rooftop tent, especially for those considering a switch.

Here’s what I’ve found:

Comfort and Space:

Travel Trailer: The Hideout 179RB offers a lot more space and comfort. It has a full bed, bathroom, and kitchen, which makes camping feel much more like home. You can stand up, move around freely, and enjoy amenities like a shower and stove.
Rooftop Tent: It’s compact and simple, but you’re limited to a small sleeping area and have to deal with packing and unpacking it each time you set up

Setup and Convenience:

Travel Trailer: Once you park, setting up the trailer is quick and easy. You have a permanent place to sleep and store your gear, which makes the camping experience more convenient.
Rooftop Tent: It’s relatively quick to set up and pack down, but it requires climbing up and down each time you need to access your gear or sleep.
Mobility and Versatility:

Travel Trailer: It’s less versatile in terms of where you can go since it requires a suitable campsite and towing vehicle. However, it’s great for longer stays and providing a stable base.
Rooftop Tent: It’s ideal for those who like to explore and move around frequently. You can camp in various locations without needing a lot of setup time.
Cost and Maintenance:

Travel Trailer: Generally more expensive and requires maintenance, including storage and occasional repairs. However, it offers greater luxury and functionality.
Rooftop Tent: Less expensive and easier to maintain, but it lacks the creature comforts of a trailer.
Questions for Discussion:

For those who have used both, what do you prefer and why?
How has your experience with a travel trailer or rooftop tent influenced your camping style?
Are there features of either that you find essential or wish were improved?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences!8E857D8B-BD6C-4DF5-8EA2-68F71995943C.jpeg

Both definitely have their time and place. Nice to have both. One is better for for more solo adventures with the homies. The other is better as a base camp for the family.

Recent

Ever since picking up my Pro it seems as if...
hello everyone! I have been the proud owner of...
Alright everyone I just did the first oil...
Has anyone added fog lights to a 4th Gen SR...
Daniel over on Facebook has been fitting some...
Pictures of everything will be included below...
If you’re not a fan of the large stock exhaust...
Gary posted over on the 4th Gen Tacoma owners...
I just had a TRD Pro Tacoma for the last week...

Featured

Alright everyone I just did the first oil...
Shopping for a TRD Off-Road right now...
Posting this so we can share Bronze Oxide 4Gs...
So I just did a pretty solid road trip from...
Yo everyone! Drafting up this post as a...
Hey guys! I recently had an interview with...
Back